I know liver isn’t the first thing people usually go running for, but, personally, I love liver.
If you’re just easing into the whole liver-eating-life, some may recommend to try chicken liver first, which you can definitely use instead of beef for this recipe.
However, I prefer beef liver over any other type of liver… and I’ve tried a variety of different types: chicken, lamb, pork, etc., but beef seems to be my favourite.
The trick with cooking liver is you don’t want to overcook it, but I do like a nice crisp on my liver, which is why the arrowroot works so nicely in this recipe – it allows the sliced liver to get a nice crust on it while stir frying.
Quick Stir Fried Beef Liver
1 tbsp ghee
1 lb. sliced beef liver
2 tbsp arrowroot flour
Sea salt, to taste
- Prepare the liver by rinsing it off, then draining it.
- Transfer liver to a medium-sized mixing bowl, then add arrowroot.
- Mix the liver with the arrowroot until all liver is coated and there are no clumps of flour.
- Melt ghee in large skillet over medium-high heat, then place liver in skillet, arranging the liver in a single layer. Season with sea salt.
- Allow liver to cook on medium-high heat until the blood rises to the top and the bottom side turns a crispy golden brown.
- Once the bottom side appears to be crisp, stir fry the liver for another few minutes until all sides of the beef appear to be cooked without overcooking.
- Remove from heat and serve.