Scott recently requested that I make us pepper steak for dinner. Seeing as how Scott’s diet is primarily made up of burgers, pizza, pasta, and more pizza, I happily make anything for him whenever he requests a home cooked meal.
Growing up, my mom made a great pepper steak and although I could have easily asked her for her recipe, I decided to make my own version!
I’m all about slow cooking meats, so I threw some sliced steak into the slow cooker and used whatever veggies we had on hand that would be appropriate for this pepper steak concoction I was about to create as per Scott’s request!
It turned out amazing, which is why I am sharing it with you today!
It’s simple and one of those meals that you can throw together within minutes, let it cook all day, and then enjoy a delicious veggie packed meal with your family!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! It’s a perfect meal for this time of year!
- 1 lb. steak strips
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos, divided
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 2 sweet red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Sea salt, to taste
- The night before, combine the steak with 1/4 cup coconut aminos, 1/4 cup water, and 1 tbsp Dijon mustard. Allow to marinade overnight.
- – 6 hours prior to eating, place all ingredients in the slow cooker, including the steak, the additional 1/4 cup coconut aminos, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp Dijon, and all of the vegetables. Season with sea salt.
- Cook on low for 5 – 6 hours or until you are ready to eat.
- Serve on rice, cauliflower rice, noodles, roasted potatoes, or winter squash, such as spaghetti squash.