Out of all of my years of having a food blog (it’s been over 4 years for those of you who didn’t know!) I have actually never been so proud of a recipe that I have created.
Maybe I can be the paleo butter chicken girl? I’d like that.
Paleo Butter Chicken
Recipe Type: Entree
Serves: 4 – 6
A dairy-free, paleo version of Butter Chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 sweet onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups mashed kabocha squash
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, cut the kabocha squash in half and place flesh side down onto a lined baking sheet.
- Place kabocha squash in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a fork easily pierces through the skin. Once cooked, set aside and allow to cool.
- Begin cooking your chicken by melting the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chicken on all sides then add the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- While the chicken and onions are cooking, prepare your sauce by scooping out the flesh of the kabocha squash.
- Place the 2 cups of mashed kabocha squash into a large bowl along with the full fat coconut milk, curry powder, and sea salt.
- With an immersion blender, puree the squash mixture until smooth and all ingredients are fully combined. Taste and feel free to add more curry powder if you prefer it to be even spicier.
- When the chicken is cooking and the squash mixture is fully pureed, pour sauce into skillet and mix with chicken.
- Allow to heat through for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.