In my opinion, there just aren’t enough savoury oatmeal recipes circling the internet. So I’m going to change that okay? Today is the first post of a series of savoury oatmeal recipes and I hope you’re as excited about it as I am!
Personally, if I had to choose between sweet or savoury, savoury would win 100% of the time. Yes, I love chocolate and yes I love my fruit-based smoothie bowls, but savoury > sweet is how I roll.
But if you were to Google the term “savoury oatmeal” there’s not a wide variety of recipes to choose from, especially egg-free, protein-rich savoury oatmeal recipes.
Eggs don’t make me feel so hot. If I’m being completely honest with you here, I’ll let you know that eggs = a stay in constipation city for me for the new few days…
Don’t say I didn’t warn you I was about to be completely honest with you.
ANYWAYS. Moving on.
I have two requirements when it comes to savoury oatmeal:
- It has to be egg free
- It must offer a good punch of protein because I feel my best when I have protein-rich meals first thing in the morning!
This recipe I am about to share with you checks off each of those requirements and it is absolutely delicious!
Sweet green peas pair perfectly with feta and the cheese slowly begins to melt into the hot oatmeal.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! If you make my recipes and share them on social media, don’t forget to tag me at @iammegdoll
Savoury Oatmeal with Sweet Peas and Feta
Recipe Type: Breakfast
A savoury bowl of oatmeal, perfect for those of us who prefer savoury > sweet!
- 2/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Frozen peas (about 1/2 a cup or however many you want)
- Feta (a good sized chunk, approximately 2 oz.)
- The night before, prepare your oatmeal by placing oats, water, and sea salt into a pot over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stir, then shut off, cover, and let sit until the morning.
- In the morning, your oats will have swelled and you should have a pot filled with oats! Reheat your oatmeal over medium heat, stirring.
- Meanwhile, warm your frozen peas in a separate pot until heated through.
- When the oatmeal and peas are both heated, transfer oatmeal to your serving bowl, top with warm peas, and then crumble a big chunk of feta on top.